Monday, May 2, 2011

Mia 1st Birthday Party!

On Saturday our little baby girl became a toddler.  We celebrated at her Grandma and Grandpa B's house in Raymore. They have a lot more room there and were glad to have everyone. 

The party started at 11:30 on Saturday.  The theme of the party was the Rubber Duck.  We had little rubber duck favors and bubbles for favors.  We also decorated the basement in purple, pink and yellow and of course rubber ducks.  But the most impressive duck was the cake that Dan made. It turned out wonderful! We used a 3D duck pan borrowed from family.  It was a yellow cake and Dan used homemade icing. My Dad made the nicest comment in regards to everything we did to prepare for the party. He said "I think she will remember something about this party one day, maybe it will be the cake, or the decor...you just never know, but I hope she remembers what you did for her."  My Dad is not a sappy person. But he says the nicest things sometimes without even realizing it.

We ended up with about 25 guest including kids between the ages of 18 months and 18 years.  It was a very relaxing day.  So fun to see my friends children playing with mine.  When we grew up playing together. And exciting to see her interacting with her cousins as well.  The party included lunch- pasta, mac n cheese, fruit salad and of course cake.  All Mia friendly foods on the menu.  Mia opened quite a few presents (well actually I mainly opened them). Then came the cake.  We put Mia up in her princess chair (also known as Grandma and Grandpa's highchair) and plopped the bright yellow duck cake in front of her.  She looked very amused by it and all of the people around looking at her but did not quite know what she was supposed to do with it. It was all very cute.  Finally my sister (her Aunt Sheryl) stuck Mia's hand on the cake and got her to taste some and then came the fun.  Mia pulled off pieces of the cake and finally started eating some.  She mainly had fun throwing it on the floor though.  She actually took about half of the duck and threw it to my parents 20 lb bischon frise dog.  We were able to rescue the dog before she ate all the cake and got sick. 

Mia really seemed to enjoy her party.  Naturally...as a mom...I was worried. I was worried the kids at the party would tear up my parents house (because my Dad was worried) but I was mainly worried that Mia would be overwhelmed and not have fun. But I think she had a great time!  I know studies of child development that kids don't usually remember anything prior to age 3 but I have a little hope that she might remember something about her big day....maybe.  Well anyhow we have photos to show her just in case.  I posted a few for your enjoyment below.  But the day was really more fun and momentous then the photos show. 

Here is a photo of Mia's first Birthday cake. It turned out fantastic and yummy too!


Mia got lots of presents from all of her family and friends. Now if only we had a bigger house to put them in!

My good friend Lisa's daughter absolutely adores Mia and I think it is mutual.  Here is a pic of Andrea helping Mia walk.  She is too sweet! Is gonna be a great big sis here in just a couple of months!

Here is Mia and her cake. She is looking at her Dad in the picture and I think she is amused by the cake as well.


She did not know what she was supposed to do with the giant duck at first. But with some coaching from Aunt Sheryl she finally dug in.


There were several kids at the party.  Here is a picture of my friend Emily's daugther Jaydn looking out the window and Andrea and Shae (her sister) playing with chalk. It turned out a great way to keep little hands busy and entertained. 


Mia and her Aunt Sheryl. She adores her niece and it seems to be mutual.


Two of my oldest friends since childhood. Emily and Lisa. Funny to see their kids playing with mine now.

Emily's daughter shae playing with Mia's mat we got her for her birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment